Monday, May 23, 2011

Lotions & Cremes

My nutritionist gave me a list of nine personal care product ingredients to avoid, and - FOR CRYING OUT LOUD - no wonder the backs of my hands look one-hundred-and-ten years old!!! One of the ingredients on the avoid list is sodium laurel sulfate, said to be found in 90% of personal care products on the market, "...breaks down the skin's moisture barrier, potentially leading to dry skin with premature aging." Yipes! Over the decades I have applied tons of lotions and creams to my hands. I'm sure they contained the dreaded sodium laurel sulfate. Besides "moisturizing" my hands several times a day, I slathered on an extra layer at bedtime.

Things are looking up, though, because more and more personal care products containing NO harmful ingredients are coming on the market. Burt's Bees products are quite good, and I see my Avalon Organics Clarifying Shampoo contains all good stuff. I purchased some Waleda Skin Food recommended by my nutritionist, and it is lovely and not a threat to my skin.

Last Sunday I made some underarm deodorant, and I have been using it the past five days. I should confirm this with my husband, but I am pleasantly surprised at how effective it is - I like it a lot. The recipe calls for: coconut oil, arrowroot powder, baking soda and essential lavender oil; so it costs very little to make. I put it into a Tom's of Maine empty deodorant container and set it in the refrigerator overnight, and now I keep it in my bathroom cupboard. I plan to purchase a couple of books my nutritionist told me about and learn to make more of my personal care products. I would like to make bath oil, soap, shampoo, lotion and maybe fizzy bubble bath! Doesn't that sound like FUN? - Happy Day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment