Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Transitioning

I am SO SORRY I have been neglecting my blog! Every time I think of something to focus on and write about, I am jerked to something else. I recently joined a group called "The Heirloom Project," and that is first on my mind right now. Through this group, I can buy locally grown milk, eggs, greens, meat, homemade bread, etc. Today I made my first purchase at their once-a-week get-together, at 801 Sherwood in Missoula. I purchased 1 lb. cheese, 1/2 gal. whole milk, 1 lb. sausage, 1-1/2 lb raw almonds. I am following a recipe in my new cookbook "Nourishing Traditions" for processing the raw almonds. I am soaking the almonds in saltwater overnight. Tomorrow I will drain off the water and bake the almonds very slowly in the oven.
The guy who provides many of the products, particularly milk and meat, calls himself Farmer Brown. His name is Frank Brown, and he lives with his young family near Ronan, MT. Gary and I are planning to visit their farm this summer.
The book "Nourishing Traditions" that I have been getting my new eating plans from, has some good information. However, like all nutrition books I have read, I take issue with some of the ideas laid out in the book. For instance, the "Nourishing Traditions" author calls for carob chips instead of chocolate in her recipes! How crazy is this - almost as crazy as her remarks against caffeine! Where is this woman's brain? NO, NO, NO - I will not give up chocolate or caffeine!
I am transitioning to a diet plan that for a few decades now, I have wanted to try. If I feel better, then I guess the eating plan is a good one for me. In my earlier years, I did not have the time or energy I needed to devote myself to this experiment. I am encouraged by what to me are new concepts - - that meat and animal products such as milk, eggs and cheese, are good for your health! Especially if they are grown without chemicals, growth hormones, antibiotics, etc. Whole milk and milk products are better for your body, and the bodies of growing children, than processed unnatural products such as skim milk, lowfat yogurt, margerine and Velveeta Cheese (please don't take away my Velveeta - just kidding!), etc. Butter is good! Lard is good! WAHOO!
At the same time I am trying to assimilate into my brain new information about food and how to prepare it, I am trying to absorb information about personal care products and how I will make them. This is a good exercise for me; but I am plodding along at a snail's pace and trying to forgive myself for the slow-pokey-ness.
I will let you know any surprising and intriguing things I learn in the next few days and weeks. Happy Day!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment