Thursday, August 4, 2011

Cleansing Grains

Yesterday I finished putting together my most recent personal care product concoction - cleansing grains. It took a couple of weeks to accumulate all the necessary ingredients, particularly the white clay. I had read the clay was cheaper if you purchase it in a ceramics supply store than if you buy it in a health food store. There was not a ceramics supply store listed for Missoula, so I went to JoAnn craft supply store and bought a big bag of what turned out to be not pure white clay, but white clay mixed with several other ingredients, such as cellulose, which are not intended to be put on your skin. So I returned it and purchased pure white clay from Meadowsweet Herbs. White clay is supposed to be less drying than other clays, such as green or red clay.

The recipe for cleansing grains calls for 2 cups of white clay, 1 cup finely ground oatmeal, and small amounts of ground dried rose buds, dried lavender, almonds and poppy seeds. This forms the base which I use in smaller amounts to mix with raw honey and distilled water to create a moist, thick texture. I made a 1-week supply in a small jar, and Wednesday night I tried out the cleansing grains. I gently massaged about 1 tsp. of the grains/honey/water mixture all over my face, then rinsed it off with warm water. I patted my face dry with a clean soft towel; then spritzed on the toner I made. Finally I applied moisture cream. My facial skin feels as good as it did after my expensive professional European facial I received a few months ago! (And I have spent only about three times as much on my ever-growing collection of personal care product ingredients!)

Right now I am in the process of using up my "mistakes". The moisturizing cream began separating - the water and the oil - shortly after I first made it on July 11. I tried re-blending the oil and water; but that has proven unsuccessful. However, I am still using the moisturizer, because it still contains the wonderful jojoba oil, rosewater, beeswax and other superb components. It has a bumpy texture that becomes smooth as soon as the cream is applied to my skin. The cleansing cream is now starting to separate slightly, but it still works marvelously well. I have been keeping the creams and the toner in the refrigerator during the hot weather. As soon as I turn out a really lovely batch of moisturizing cream, I will start giving it out to friends and family and ask them what they think of it.

I want to try a recipe for deodorant that is completely different from the deodorant I made in July. I want something that does not melt when it gets above 80 degrees in the house. Instead of baking soda, coconut oil, lavender essential oil, arrowroot powder and borax, the new recipe calls for simply witch hazel and lavender essential oil. I can spritz it on. The witch hazel and lavender essential oil both have preservative and deodorizing properties. I will let you know how it compares to the baking soda-based deodorant. Keep smiling!

No comments:

Post a Comment